Wednesday, November 15, 2006

the mountains


All the wisdom, all the beauty, I have lived for unaware
Came upon me by the rote of highland rills;
I have seen God walking there
In the solemn, soundless air
When the morning wakened wonder in the hills.
Let me sleep among the shadows of the mountains when I die.
- Odell Shepard, "A Lonely Lute"

I have made a boat of wishes and it's read for our sailing
The oars are teak and sandal-wood, the sails are woven gold
Across a sea of moonlight with the evening star to guide us
We will float until the distant jasper mountains we behold
- Don Blanding, "Dream Island"

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.
- John Muir

No comments: